Saturday, May 07, 2011

Carrot Cake


So I've made my May goals, and I'm already almost done one! I feel great, it's so exciting. 

It's Mother's Day tomorrow, and I wanted to bake for my mom. I ended up making this Carrot Cake, and I'm giving some to the rest of my family, and baking my mom her favourite cookies, Lemon Sugar Cookies. I have the recipe on my blog, so check it out! They are SO yummy. Unfortunately I can't eat them anymore :(
Because guess what one of my goals was. To be Vegan for the whole month. I've wanted to be for a while, I think I've posted about it before. But it's finally working, because I actually want it!




So this cake did have eggs in it, so it's not Vegan. But I have to try my recipes, to check if it's good or not. Because I don't want it to be disgusting, and feed it to people, hahah.


The original recipe can be found here.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
Dash of salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups grated carrot
2 grated apples
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 cup milk

Icing:
1/3 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
3-4 tablespoons milk

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 2 (9-inch) cake pans with cooking spray.

In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger. In a large mixing bowl, using a mixer on medium speed, beat oil, brown sugar and granulated sugar until well combined - about 1-2 minutes. Beat in vanilla and eggs until combined - about 1-2 minutes. Beat in carrot, apple, pecans and milk until combined. Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually beat in flour mixture until just combined.

Divide batter into cake pans. Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown, well risen, and a toothpick inserted into cakes comes out with moist crumbs attached. Cool 20 minute on wire racks before running a knife around outside edges and inverting cakes out of pans.

For frosting:
Cream butter and vanilla, beating with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the confectioners sugar gradually, beating after each addition. Add milk, beating until smooth.

To assemble the cake: spread frosting evenly over layers, sides and top of cake. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment