Monday, May 16, 2011

Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies

     I can't remember if I blogged about my past failure at making red velvet cookies. I was trying to make whoopie pies, but I didn't have enough red food colouring, so I tried adding yellow, then gave up. They ended up being thin chocolate looking cookies. They were yummy, but not what I was trying to make. 

     Of course they don't sell red velvet cake mix in Canada, so I've had to make do with what I could find.

I put a bit too much cocoa powder in these, because I didn't measure properly, I just sort of poured it in. Don't worry, I've learned my lesson!



Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies (Original recipe)

Makes 45 small cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp milk
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp red food colouring
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. 
2. Cream butter and sugars together. 
3. Add egg, vanilla, and milk, stirring until smooth. 
4. Beat in red food colouring.
5. Stir in cocoa, flour, baking soda, and salt until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
6. Dropping teaspoon sized scoops onto a parchment paper covered baking sheet.
7. Bake for approximately 10 minutes.



 The photo below is the raw cookie dough. It was more red raw than it was cooked, yet still not quite red enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment