I've been trying out different shortbreads, trying to find one that absolutely just melts in your mouth. I still haven't found one quite right, but so far this recipe wins. It's an old one of my mother's that she has had for some time now, you can tell by the crinkles and smudges of the aged paper.
These can be vegan by substituting butter for margarine or any other vegan butter, just make sure the icing sugar is vegan, because some aren't.
Mum's Whipped Shortbread (makes about 70 miniature cookies)
1 lb butter, softened
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1. With an electric beater, beat butter until fluffy and pale (around 5ish minutes).
2. Sift all dry ingredients together. Mix well.
3. Drop by teaspoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet.
4. (Optional) If desired, decorate cookies. I used dark chocolate hazelnut bark chopped, sprinkles, and cinnamon.
5. Bake at 325 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until light golden brown on the bottom, creamy white on top.